Blood Orange Mulled Mint Toddy
(Makes 6-8 cocktails)
This hot toddy is a definitive winter wonderland in cocktail form. When making warm boozy beverages you want to keep them warm, but not too hot, otherwise the alcohol can evaporate! You can find mulling spices at many retailers or online, or even make your own. Though they vary in ingredients, mulling spices typically contain cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg and star anise.
- 1 ½ cups spiced rum
- 1 bottle Casillero del Diablo Merlot
- 4 cups water
- 4 bags peppermint green tea (or herbal peppermint tea)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons mulling spices
- 2 blood oranges
- Fresh mint, to garnish
- Peppermint stick, to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot bring water to a boil then add mulling spices and tea.
- Turn off heat, let steep for 10 minutes, then carefully strain to remove tea bags and mulling spices.
- Return strained liquid to the pot, add lemon juice and agave, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Slice blood oranges into wheels and stir into the hot liquid.
- Add Casillero del Diablo Merlot and spiced rum, and stir until fully incorporated.
- Keep warm on low heat.
- Serve in mugs garnished with mint and a peppermint stick.
Cocktail handcrafted exclusively for Casillero del Diablo by Dan Magro, mixologist and author of “Suck It Up: Extraordinary Cocktails for Everyday People.”