Blood Red Bourbon Smash
(Makes 1 cocktail)
This hauntingly deep-red twist on the bourbon smash is the soon-to-be star of many a Halloween party or October celebration. Casillero del Diablo’s Carmenere is truly the show stopping ingredient as the intense color and black currant aromas mesh effortlessly with the sweetness of the preserves and the bourbon.
- 1 ½ ounces bourbon
- 1.5 Casillero del Diablo Carmenere
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon grape or cherry preserves
- Lemon peel, to garnish
- In a shaker combine Casillero del Diablo Carmenere, bourbon, 5 mint leaves, and lemon juice.
- Muddle until thoroughly blended.
- Add preserves and fill shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
- Slice through one side of the lemon peel and the pulp, all the way up to the rind on the other side. Repeat.
- Carefully cut lemon peel into horn shapes and place on opposite sides of the glass rim.
Cocktail handcrafted exclusively for Casillero del Diablo by Dan Magro, mixologist and author of “Suck It Up: Extraordinary Cocktails for Everyday People.”